Steve Jefferys was the lone rider in the Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony. He galloped into the stadium on his Australian Stock Horse "Ammo", which reared, and then Jefferys cracked his whip to signal the beginning of the Opening Ceremony. This was followed by the entrance of a further 120 riders (which included Steve Jefferys' wife, Sandra Langsford) and their Stock Horses.
Steve Jefferys and his Stock Horse "Ammo" re-created their Olympics entrance during the 2002 Australian stage production The Man from Snowy River: Arena Spectacular, which was based on Banjo Paterson's poem The Man from Snowy River. He also played the role of "The Breaker" in the show, and his wife also took part as one of the crack riders (expert riders). The Arena Spectacular was so successful that the show toured Australian capital cities twice. Steve Jefferys, who is an expert horse whisperer also taught this difficult art to Martin Crewes (who played the title role of 'The Man' in the show). Steve Jefferys and his wife, Sandra, also trained their Stock Horse "Drummer" for his role of "the Colt from 'Old' Regret". Steve Jefferys' and Sandra Langsford's Border Collie dog "Jana" (who they have also trained) was also in the show, where she had the part of Banjo Paterson's dog.
Steve Jefferys and his Stock Horses "Ammo" and "Drummer", as well as "Jana" the Border Collie, have also taken part in other equestrian events, including "Equitana 2002" in Brisbane, Queensland. Australia,
Steve Jefferys and his wife Sandra Langsford have a riding school, where they train horses and teach horse riding, and also teach people how to care for their horses. Steve Jefferys also lectures at Universities on animal behaviour, and has spoken at conferences, as well as holding horse clinics.
- ↑ Brisbane Equitana the largest horse expo ever — Landline, Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- ↑ Equitana Brisbane 2002 — Equworld Magazine, September 2002
- Mane Event, Equitana, Brisbane 2002 - Equiworld Magazine
- The Man From Snowy River: Arena Spectacularat Post Newspapers Online (there is mention of Steve Jefferys' entrance at the Sydney Olympic Games Opening Ceremony)
- Sydney Olympic Games Opening Ceremony - The Official Report of the XXVII Olympiad
- Sydney Olympic Games Opening Ceremony - Australian Special Events