|Breeder||Aga Khan III|
|Owner||Aga Khan III|
|Tulyar is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Neocracy by Tehran. He was born around 1949 in Ireland, and was bred by Aga Khan III.|
British Classic Race wins:|
Epsom Derby (1952)
St. Leger Stakes (1952)
|Deltic locomotive 55015 was named Tulyar|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
|Last updated on January 19, 2008|
Trained by Marcus Marsh and ridden by Charlie Smirke, Tulyar was the winner of the Epsom Derby in 1952 in a time of 2 minutes 36.4 seconds. In the same year he also won the St. Leger Stakes, the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, the Ormonde Stakes and the Eclipse Stakes setting a record for a single season's earnings in England. In all he won nine of his thirteen outings.
Following the LNER tradition of naming locomotives after winning racehorses, the English Electric 'Deltic' diesel locomotive, no. D9015 (later no. 55 015) was named after Tulyar on 13 October 1961 and remained in service until 2 January 1982.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Names". The Deltic Preservation Society Online. Chesterfield: The Deltic Preservation Society Limited. 20 January 2008. http://www.thedps.co.uk/staticpages/index.php?page=names. Retrieved 12 January 2010. "the racehorse Tulyar ... won the Derby, Eclipse Stakes and St. Leger races"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Tulyar Horse Pedigree". Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database. Carlsbad, CA: PedigreeQuery.com. http://www.pedigreequery.com/tulyar. Retrieved 19 January 2008.
- ↑ Great Breeders and Their Methods: The Hancocks Frank J Mitchell 2005 ISBN 0929346785
- ↑ Nock, O.S. (1985). British Locomotives of the 20th Century: Volume 3 1960-the present day. London: Guild Publishing/Book Club Associates. pp. 70–71. CN9613.
- ↑ "D9015/9015/55015". The Chronicles of Napier. P.A. Bettany. http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9015.htm. Retrieved 19 January 2008. "in honour of racehorse owned by The Aga Khan, won The Derby, Eclipse Stakes and St. Leger"