W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center
|W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center|
|Location||Pomona, California, USA|
|Website||W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center|
The W. K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center is a research facility on the campus of the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) which specializes on equine studies, breeding and research.
The horse center dates back to 1925  when industrialist and food manufacturer Will Keith Kellogg, founder of the Kellogg Company, purchased 377 acres (1.53 km2) of land in Pomona and developed it into a ranch. After erecting the first buildings, Kellogg funded the development of an Arabian horse breeding program, which still remains the oldest in the United States and the fifth largest in the country.  During the ongoing events of World War II, on October 28, 1943 the ranch was taken over by the U.S. War Department and renamed the "Pomona Quartermaster Depot" (Remount).. In 1949, Kellogg donated his ranch to the state of California, given two conditions:
- The property would be used for educational purposes.
- The horse shows would continue.
The Center occupied the original Kellogg stables prior to the dedication of the existing facility on April 6, 1974. It is home to approximately 85 purebred Arabian horses used in Equine Sciences’ teachings, outreach, research and internationally recognized breeding and training programs. Facilities at the center include 38 acres (150,000 m2) of pasture, three barns, foaling stalls, a breeding area, a veterinary clinic, a farrier shop, four arenas and a grandstand.
- ↑ http://www.csupomona.edu/~equine/ranch/index.html
- ↑ "Best Colleges" (HTML). U.S. News and World Report. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/items/1144. Retrieved 2008-08-31.
- ↑ "Highlights of Cal Poly Pomona History" (HTML). Windt im Wald Farm. http://www.wiwfarm.com/Highlights_of_Cal_Poly_Pomona_History.htm#1940. Retrieved 2008-08-31.