<tr><th>Maternal grandsire:</th><td>Old Sorrel</td></tr>
|Owner:||King Ranch, George Clegg, Rex Cauble|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
He was foaled on the King Ranch in Kingsville, Texas on March 3, 1937. However, the original application listed his foaling date as April 3, 1937, and the original stud books gave his foaling year as 1935. He was a son of Solis, himself a son of Old Sorrel, the King Ranch foundation stallion. Solis' dam was an unregistered and unnamed mare of Thoroughbred breeding who was by Right Royal and out of a mare by Martin's Best. Wimpy's dam was a mare named Panda, also sired by Old Sorrel. Panda's dam was a roan mare by Hickory Bill. Wimpy traced three times to Hickory Bill, making him quite inbred to Hickory Bill.
He was a grand Champion Stallion in March 1941 at the Southwestern Exposition Quarter Horse show in Fort Worth, Texas, which honor earned him the first number in the newly organized American Quarter Horse Association.
He sired over a hundred and fifty foals for the King Ranch, before he was given in 1958 to George Clegg, who had bred Old Sorrel. However, Clegg was forced to sell Wimpy to Rex Cauble, who owned the stallion until Wimpy died on August 13, 1959, when Wimpy was twenty-two years old.
Among his sons and daughters were Bill Cody, Kip Mac, Caballero, Wimpy's Image, Silver Wimpy, Wimpy II, Lauro and Showdown. His grandget included Joe Cody, Marion's Girl, Codalena, Pandarita Hill and Show Maid.
|Lucreita M (TB)|
|Dr Rose Mare|
|Right Royal (TB)|
|Mrs Delaney (TB)|
|Mother of Solis|
|Martin's Best (TB)|
|Lazarus mare by Martin's Best (TB)|
|Lucretia M (TB)|
|Dr Rose mare|
|Lucretia M (TB)|
|roan mare by Hickory Bill|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Beckman "Number One" Quarter Horse Journal March 1990 p. 36, 147.
- ↑ Wohlfarth "The Wimpy Files" Quarter Horse Journal May 1996 p. 14
- ↑ All Breed Pedigree Database Pedigree of Wimpy retrieved on July 17, 2007
- ↑ Denhardt "Wimpy P-1 Earned His Number" Quarter Horse Journal June 1964 p. 18, 58, 62, 136-137
- ↑ Pitzer The Most Influential Quarter Horse Sires p. 155
- ↑ Simmons Legends p. 12-17
- ↑ AQHA Hall of Fame accessed on February 3, 2008
- All Breed Pedigree Database Pedigree of Wimpy retrieved on July 17, 2007
- AQHA Hall of Fame accessed on February 3, 2008
- Beckman, Bruce "Number One" Quarter Horse Journal March 1990 p. 36, 147
- Denhardt, Robert "Wimpy P-1 Earned His Number" Quarter Horse Journal June 1964 p. 18, 58, 62, 136-137
- Pitzer, Andrea Laycock The Most Influential Quarter Horse Sires Tacoma, WA:Premier Pedigrees 1987
- Simmons, Diance C. Legends: Outstanding Quarter Horse Stallions and Mares Colorado Springs:Western Horseman 1993 ISBN 0-911647-26-0
- Wohlfarth, Jenny "The Wimpy Files: The Mysteries Surrounding No. 1" Quarter Horse Journal May 1996 p. 18